HS2 under fire for buying French steel Dave Chappelle 'not bending to anyone's demands' in Netflix row FTSE 100 hits 20-month high; Wall Street opens at record high Ambrose Evans-Pritchard: Macron has let rip with populist spending, but the knives are out in France Sign up here for our daily business briefing newsletter T he energy market crisis that has led to the collapse of more than a dozen suppliers will add £100 to the bill of every home in the country, the boss of British Gas owner Centrica has warned. Centrica chief executive Chris O’Shea told a Lords committee that the cost of transferring customers to other suppliers would pile further pressure on prices, which are already rising sharply. He also said the cost of cutting emissions shouldn’t be placed on bills, describing this as a “regressive” tax. He added: "The cost of net zero is not small. To put that onto consumers will exacerbate a potential cost of living crisis." A total of 14 energy suppliers have gone bust since the start of August, leaving 2m stranded customers to be swept up by larger rivals. 6:32PM Wrapping up T hat’s all for today, thank you for following. We’ll be back tomorrow… Read full this story
- British Gas pays out £1.73million after 270,000 customers hit with meter change
- 85,000 protest British Gas top-up meter change that is 'making the poorest go hungry'
- British Gas delivers vital supplies to help struggling food banks amid coronavirus
- British Gas workers vote on Christmas strikes in row over new contracts
- British Gas: Why are workers on strike from today?
- Emergency cover promised as British Gas engineers start five-day strike
- British Gas owner Centrica to axe 5,000 jobs due to coronavirus crisis
- Last chance to prepare for Brexit! British firms and holidaymakers are warned to be ready for 'substantial' change from New Year's Eve when the UK leaves the EU
- Bakery chain Greggs warns of £15m annual loss as sales slump by nearly a THIRD after it axed more than 800 jobs amid Covid crisis
- Gas-based economy crucial for Atmanirbhar Bharat, says PM Modi
Energy crisis adds £100 to every bill, warns British Gas chief have 346 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at October 26, 2021. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.