One night my godson, seeming anxious, asked if there was such a thing as a "TomGirl"? He coined a term which addresses so many issues of our time. Questions about gender stereotypes and the negative idea of the word feminine. A few years ago, I wrote a picture book based on this incident about a little boy who likes to knit and sew. He is teased at first but forging ahead and supported by his family and some adults, he earns the respect of others including his classmates, simply by being himself. The book is currently available in 12 countries and eight languages, thus implying the ideas and messages in the book span many cultures. As a young boy in the United States, I got a lot of attention because I could sing and dance, and I started working professionally around age 11. Coming from an observant religious background also set me apart from others. The support and joy it brought to those really close to me was immeasurable and certainly helped me to let anything negative roll off my back. But in our religious community, and the school I went to, these were unusual talents for boys to explore…. Read full this story
- Title IX poll: Men more likely than women to believe in gender equality progress
- Moving Targets – Why Quotas Alone Can’t Achieve Gender Balance In Leadership.
- Nurses boycott Royal College after chief rejects gender-critical views
- Queen Latifah says parents made her 'strong' by raising her without gender constraints
- Colour to Sport, 5 Things to Keep in Mind For Gender Neutral Parenting
- Letters: Who will burst the Whitehall bubble that is home to 100 genders?
- Kudumbashree launches gender clubs to fight misogyny
- UGC Directs Colleges, Universities to Set up Complaint Committee Against Gender Bias
- American Heritage Girls Issues Guide on Godly Gender Identity
- Spice Girl Geri Horner to receive honorary doctorate award from Sheffield Hallam University
We should have the courage to raise boys as girls to achieve gender equality | View have 310 words, post on www.euronews.com at September 2, 2021. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.