WASHINGTON: The US Senate acquitted Donald Trump on Saturday in his second impeachment trial in a year, with fellow Republicans blocking conviction over the former president`s role in the deadly assault by his supporters on the US Capitol. The Senate vote of 57-43 fell short of the two-thirds majority needed to convict Trump on a charge of incitement of insurrection after a five-day trial in the same building ransacked by his followers on Jan. 6 shortly after they heard him deliver an incendiary speech. In the vote, seven of the 50 Senate Republicans joined the chamber`s unified Democrats in favoring conviction. Trump left office on Jan. 20, so impeachment could not be used to remove him from power. But Democrats had hoped to secure a conviction to hold him responsible for a siege that left five people including a police officer dead and to set the stage for a vote to bar him from ever serving in public office again. Given the chance to hold office in the future, they argued, Trump would not hesitate to encourage political violence again. Trump`s attorneys argued that his words at the rally were protected by his constitutional right to free speech and said… Read full this story
- Donald Trump, Ohio & the GOP meltdown
- The Senate acquits President Bill Clinton of impeachment charges in 1999
- Why Trump is vulnerable to impeachment: Allan Lichtman
- Sens. John McCain, Jeff Flake say Donald Trump woes a drag on GOP agenda
- Readers sound off on the Iran deal, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump
- Donald Trump says Congress has too much power. He's wrong.
- Will Republicans ever stop defending Donald Trump?
- Checkers vs. chess: Donald Trump's fateful insistence on instant gratification
- It's no vacation, but Donald Trump would surprise 'Clark Griswold' | Scott Jennings
- Donald Trump wins S.C.; Rubio edges Cruz for 2nd; Bush drops out
US Senate acquits Donald Trump as Republicans save him in second impeachment trial have 301 words, post on zeenews.india.com at February 14, 2021. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.