Defense attorney David Schoen speaks on the fourth day of former President Donald Trump's second impeachment trial on February 12, 2021. Photo: congress.gov via Getty Images Former president Donald Trump's impeachment trial over inciting the January 6 Capitol riot is underway. Below, in reverse chronological order, are the latest updates on the trial as it plays out. Attorneys for former president Donald Trump began their arguments on Friday following two days of presentations from Democratic impeachment managers. Though the defense has 16 hours to make their case, they reportedly plan to use only four hours – which would clear the way for the trial to end as early as Saturday. Trump's attorneys argued on Friday that the impeachment trial is "an unjust and blatantly unconstitutional act of political vengeance," as he is no longer in office. Attorney David Schoen accused Democratic House managers of having "manipulated evidence and selectively" editing footage of Trump in their presentation – then the went on to play selectively edited clips of Democrats. One lengthy video, which was played more than once, featured Democratic celebrities and elected officials using the word "fight." The aim was to undercut the accusation that Trump incited the Capitol riot… Read full this story
- Brexit: how a fringe idea took hold of the Tory party
- Federal Appeals Court Judges Appear to Back GOP Efforts to End Obamacare
- Coming to America: 19 movies about U.S. immigration
- Rogue Platoon Investigation; Neck-and-Neck Race in Nevada; CNN Hero Guadalupe Arizpe De La Vegal;
- The best TV of 2018 so far
- Hanse wins bid over high-profile designers
- Sandusky at courthouse for selection
- Was it really worth it, Barry?
- Violence, accusations paralyze Egypt
- Soccer deaths spark new Egypt protests
Trump Lawyers Dismiss Impeachment as ‘Political Vengeance’: Live Updates have 282 words, post on nymag.com at February 12, 2021. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.