“I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually,” James Baldwin wrote in “Notes of a Native Son.” The 1955 essay collection featured the writer’s searing critiques of the deep racial injustice etched into the DNA of a nation that had continuously rejected him because of his skin color. The sentiment behind Baldwin’s words – that American patriotism necessitates that we confront inequality – has since been echoed by activists, writers and filmmakers across decades. Baldwin’s words take on renewed resonance amid current protests over the killing of George Floyd, who died after a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck for nearly nine minutes, and other black men and women who have been killed by police in disproportionate numbers. With that in mind on this Fourth of July weekend, we’ve compiled a list of films, TV series and documentaries that offer poignant examinations of race in America. “4 Little Girls” In this documentary, available to stream on Hulu, Spike Lee examines in excruciating detail the Birmingham, Ala., church bombing that killed four young black girls in 1963. “It’s an angry movie and a… Read full this story
- After 9/11: Has Germany failed in Afghanistan?
- US Election 2020: The fierce battle for the soul of America
- America's Foreign Enemies Mostly Hope for a Joe Biden Win; Allies Are Divided
- Donald Trump compares himself to Churchill keeping London calm during the Nazi bombing and FDR during the depression in new defense for not telling the truth about COVID
- Boris Johnson’s fiancée Carrie Symonds says Sir David Attenborough’s show warning of mass extinction of wildlife left her in TEARS – as she pleads: ‘Everyone should watch this, it’s time to act’
- Real-Life Cops, and Me
- A beginner's guide to Final Fantasy 14
- Nixon, NASA, And How The Federal Government Got Design
- Who’s Afraid of Max Landis?
- 100 Albums Released in 2020 to Put on Your Radar
11 things to watch to better understand America at this moment have 324 words, post on www.chron.com at July 3, 2020. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.