WASHINGTON (AP) — When it came time to heave the largest aid package in U.S. history over the finish line, Republican Rep. Mark Meadows was the closer, working with Democrats to get it done. He wasn’t just any member of Congress. In a highly unusual arrangement, Meadows has been pulling off a balancing act, simultaneously maintaining his seat representing North Carolina in the House while also acting as the de facto White House chief of staff during one of the biggest crises faced by any president in modern history. Meadows is expected to resign from Congress as early as Friday, after which he will formally take over the chief of staff role still technically held by Mick Mulvaney, who never shook his “acting” title. In truth, it was nearly two weeks ago that aides to Mulvaney helped pack up his office and move out of the West Wing, raising questions about who, exactly, has been in charge. “I’m still a member of Congress; Mick Mulvaney’s still the acting chief, officially,” Meadows told reporters on Capitol Hill on Tuesday. He said he would “end up resigning as a member of Congress” toward the end of the month. But Meadows’ efforts over… Read full this story
- Jeopardy for two White House lawyers as impeachment inquiry zeroes in on them over Donald Trump's Ukraine call being rushed on to secret server after Purple Heart officer 'raised concerns'
- NFL hires ex-White House official for policy job
- White House press secretary: Tom Brady can still be a good role model
- After White House celebration, Abby Wambach retires
- White House: NFL needs to ‘get a handle’ on domestic violence issues
- CFB AM: Desperate UGA fans want White House to free Todd Gurley
- Jeff Gordon to take part in White House Easter Egg Roll
- Stephen Colbert on the House vote: 'One step closer to getting Trump out'
- An Open Letter to the White Boys Who Praised Alabama's Abortion Ban By Citing the Bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church
- Flowers, Kottaras get key doubles as White Sox beat Indians
Meadows toggles between legislator, White House roles have 336 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at March 27, 2020. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.