PROVIDENCE (AP) — A former Rhode Island priest has sued his old diocese for including his name on a list of clergy “credibly accused” of sexually abusing minors. In a defamation lawsuit against the Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence, ex-priest John Tormey said he never sexually assaulted anyone and was not given the opportunity to defend himself, the Providence Journal reported “My client has been hesitant to take legal action against the institution which he proudly served and has remained faithful to for his entire life, both before, during, and since his service to the ministry,” Tormey’s lawyer, Christopher T. Millea, said in a written statement. “But his reputation has been irreparably harmed by his inclusion on the list published by the Diocese and Bishop Tobin, and he feels this is his only remedy to such a horrible situation.” The Associated Press left messages seeking comment with representatives of the diocese. The diocese did not immediately respond to requests for a comment from the Providence Journal. In July, the Diocese of Providence released a list of 51 names of clergy “credibly accused” of abuse. In a letter that accompanied the list, Tobin noted that appearing on the list “does not… Read full this story
- 'Bunnings Karen' vows to SUE cops over her arrest after confronting staff at a hardware store - as her out-there theories on social media are exposed
- STEPHEN GLOVER: High-handed, shameless... so why isn’t there outrage about Boris’s own Lavender List of Lords?
- Trump rips ex-top aide Anthony Scaramucci as a ‘loser’ after The Mooch slammed prez for ‘saying racist things’
- Magu: Lockdown won’t abort cases against Patience Jonathan, 4 ex-govs, others
- Johnny Depp 'joked' with Paul Bettany about setting Amber Heard on fire and 'f***ing her burnt corpse to make sure she's dead' or drowning her to 'make sure she's not a witch'
- Boris Johnson puts his own brother and billionaire donor in House of Lords for life
- Video Nasties Worth Watching
- Madeleine McCann latest news: Christian B ‘hopes of early release have been dashed’
- ‘How much is my silence worth?’: Amid a racial reckoning, women are rejecting NDAs
- How CAN families know their children are safe?: Vanessa George is among paedophiles hiding their criminal past by lawfully changing their name
Ex-priest sues over inclusion on list of suspected abusers have 371 words, post on apnews.com at December 15, 2019. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.