As a historic impeachment drama plays out in Washington, a political saga with some odd parallels is taking place across the Atlantic.Britain is in the midst of a divisive national election campaign that is roiled by questions about Russian interference in the 2016 Brexit referendum, with potentially inflammatory implications for the upcoming balloting Dec. 12.A cross-party British parliamentary committee spent months investigating purported malign actions by Moscow in connection with the June 2016 referendum in which Britons narrowly voted to leave the European Union.With Brexit again the key issue in December’s parliamentary elections, the government of Prime Minister Boris Johnson triggered an outcry this month when it put off the release of the committee’s wide-ranging Russia report, citing the need for further security vetting. Advertisement Then as now, Johnson has been a driving force behind the move for Britain to exit the 28-nation EU. For more than three years, Britain has been consumed by infighting over how and whether to implement the referendum result, and the prime minister is leading his Conservative Party into next month’s vote with promises of a swift Brexit as his rallying cry.Johnson’s rivals say that before the election, British voters should have an opportunity to… Read full this story
- New intel reports indicate fresh efforts by Russia to interfere in 2022 election
- Thailand’s Deputy Prime Minister Warns Election May be Delayed if Draft Charter Rejected
- With Redistricting Process Behind Schedule, Pennsylvania Primary Election Could Be Delayed
- Citing coronavirus fears, Roger Stone files motion to delay reporting to Georgia prison
- Michigan group wants voters to decide if presidential electoral votes go to popular winner
- Brexit latest: Tom Bradby says Boris Johnson was a Remainer in bombshell interview
- U.S. Warns Russia, China and Iran Are Trying to Interfere in the Election. Democrats Say It’s Far Worse.
- Brexit LIVE: EU chief explodes at UK in furious attack - broken 'great deal of trust'
- Letters: Britain will be vulnerable to Russia until it finds other sources of energy
- Biden administration confirms Russian agent shared 2016 Trump polling data as part of election interference efforts
Did Russia meddle in 2016 Brexit vote? In election season, dismay over delayed report have 343 words, post on www.latimes.com at November 14, 2019. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.