Meeting with top Russian officials on Tuesday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo tried to ease concerns over rising tensions between Washington and Tehran that some fear could lead to conflict. “We fundamentally don’t seek war with Iran,” Pompeo said after closed-door talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov. “But we’ve also made clear to the Iranians that if American interests are attacked, we will most certainly respond in an appropriate fashion.” Read more: Iranians feel the pressure of new US sanctions To counter any possible attack, the United States has sent an aircraft carrier and B-52 bombers to the Middle East, heightening already high levels of unease that resulted from the US reimposing sanctions on Tehran following President Donald Trump’s withdrawal of the US from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal last year. “Europe has a stake in a very peaceful and stable Middle East,” said US Iran envoy Brian Hook, speaking with DW in Brussels. “Iran has been threatening to conduct attacks, so we have put in place defensive measures. “The problem we have now is that it’s hard to imagine a peaceful Middle East without a peaceful Iran. So we are asking Iran to behave more like a… Read full this story
- Iraq walks Iran-US tightrope as tensions escalate
- Donald Trump says he is willing to meet with Iran without preconditions
- Iran Can Hit Carriers at Sea 'With Great Precision' - IRGC Commander
- Dangerous Game: Iran Could do 'Enormous Damage' to US Military - Iranian Prof
- Iran taunts Britain by hosting its flag over seized UK tanker: State TV broadcasts new footage of Tehran's forces on the decks of the UK-registered Stena Impero
- Iran nuclear-deal crisis: Is war with the US ahead?
- Iraq, Syria Not As Important for the US As Iran at the Moment - Prof
- Iran Showing 'Maximum Restraint' in Face of US Exit From Nuclear Deal - Zarif
- The Hill's Morning Report - Trump eyes narrowly focused response to Iran attacks
Pompeo in Russia: US does not want 'war with Iran' have 326 words, post on www.dw.com at January 14, 2019. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.