Olivia Apostolovski is a freshman pre-Journalism major at MU. She is an opinion columnist who writes about social issues for The Maneater. The individuals mentioned in this column have had their names changed in order to maintain confidentiality. Oct. 11 marks National Coming Out Day, a day celebrated by the LGBTQ community. This holiday is both celebrated and revered by the community. The Human Rights Campaign first observed National Coming Out Day nearly 30 years ago on the anniversary of the National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights., one of my best friends, is gay and transgender. I knew both of these and never batted an eye, I have known him for nearly all of my life and his identity never changed who he is as a person. He first confided in me around freshman year of high school that he wasn’t comfortable identifying with the sex that he was given at birth, something that I could somewhat notice in certain conversations that we had in the past. His confession did not make me feel different towards him. Just like Tate’s other friends, I worked to better educate myself on what it means to identify as transgender, what… Read full this story
- Political world, LGBTQ community react to Trump transgender military ban
- LIVE CBSSports HQ: Storylines to watch on early National Signing Day 2019
- National Signing Day 2019: Best commitment videos include throwbacks, creative comic book graphics
- College football recruiting: 2019 National Signing Day key announcement times, predictions, picks
- National Signing Day 2019: Five-star WR Rakim Jarrett shockingly flips from LSU to Maryland
- Michigan National Signing Day Capsule: DL Aaron Lewis
- Davis receives backing of nation’s largest LGBTQ advocacy organization days after Abbott endorsement
- Gabrielle Union and Dwyane Wade take baby Kaavia on first holiday trip since the basketball star's retirement and jokes that they're giving out 'complimentary earplugs'
- Dwyane Wade reveals he battled his own 'ignorant' prejudice to raise his LGBTQ son who 'wasn't on the boy vibe' as he says he refers to 12-year-old Zion with feminine pronouns
- Is Christmas Eve a Federal Holiday? What Government Offices are Open on December 24?
The Maneater Column: National Coming Out Day is the holiday the LGBTQ community needs and deserves have 344 words, post on www.themaneater.com at October 16, 2018. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.