With so many medallists to keep track of, no wonder Shane Ross is confused. When he hears Dominic Casey is the rowing coach, he’ll surely ask his minions to double-check the name. In TS Eliot’s The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, the titular character declares: “I have measured out my life in coffee spoons.” I’ve measured out mine in sporting events. Few things stick in my mind more than the memory of watching particular matches, races and bouts over the years. Last week’s rowing and eventing contests will stay with me for a long time. There we were on Saturday morning, myself and the twin daughters, sitting on the couch accompanied by that familiar feeling of combined elation and tension when the O’Donovans go into action. The nerves were particularly pronounced after the close shave Lisheen’s finest had endured in the semi-final. When they went against their usual pattern by taking an early lead we weren’t sure what to make of it. Traditional Irish fatalism made us worry they’d gone off too fast but following the O’Donovans makes you trust them. They don’t get much wrong. Italy soon overhauled them and built up a substantial lead yet as the… Read full this story
- Eamonn Sweeney: 'If arrogance is the English national vice, sneakiness may be the Irish one'
- Eamonn Sweeney: 'Wishful thinking of a romantic fool
- Eamonn Sweeney: 'Sport preparing to pull up stumps'
- Eamonn Sweeney: 'Saracens the only team that can halt this Blue wave'
- Eamonn Sweeney's A to Z in a remarkable year of sport
- Eamonn Sweeney: 'World Cup may be coming a year too late for Ireland'
- Eamonn Sweeney: 'Mourinho has doomed look of a dead man walking'
- Eamonn Sweeney: 'Jose Mourinho has doomed look of a dead man walking'
- Eamonn Sweeney: 'Spurs must open wallet or lose Pochettino to Old Trafford'
- Eamonn Sweeney: 'The league matters more than ever'
Eamonn Sweeney: Heroes measuring up on world stage have 315 words, post on www.independent.ie at September 23, 2018. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.