According to former ambassador Ted Osius, the Trump administration urged him to push the Vietnamese government to accept former residents who had escaped the country after the fall of Saigon in 1975. © AP Photo / Sakchai LalitFormer Vietnam PM Credited With Raising Nation Up After US Invasion Dead at 84 “And they were to be ‘returned’ decades later to a nation ruled by a communist regime with which they had never reconciled. I feared many would become human rights cases, and our government would be culpable,” he added. Osius states that such deportations would sever ties between the US and Vietnam in a politically sensitive time, particularly given the current North Korean threat. “I voiced my objections, was instructed to remain silent, and decided there was an ethical line that I could not cross if I wished to retain my integrity,” he wrote. According to an unidentified state department spokesperson, deporting people with final orders of removal is extremely important to the US government. © REUTERS / KhamUS Carrier Docks in Danang: ‘Vietnam Showing China That it Has Allies’ – Analyst In 2008, US and Vietnam agreed that Vietnamese immigrants who came into the US before 1995 could not be deported. Around 2 million people fled Vietnam following the war between the two countries. The US considers Vietnam a “recalcitrant” country,… Read full this story
- 'Trump angered the establishment – now, with Manafort and Cohen, it's biting back'
- Donald Trump hits back at Bob Woodward’s explosive book ‘Fear’ that claims White House staff think he’s an ‘idiot’
- Who Are the Five Persons Trump is Floating to Replace UN Envoy Nikki Haley?
- North Korea gives Trump administration year-end deadline to change ‘hostile policy’ if it wants nuclear talks to continue
- North Korean Crisis: Kim deals devastating blow to Trump’s denuclearisation talks
- ‘Trump Administration’s Big Plan Is to Force US Companies Out of China’ – Journo
- Twitter Ablaze as Meghan McCain Rips Donald Trump Without Naming Him at Eulogy
- No Fuel for Iran's 'War Machine' as Trump Scraps Nuke Deal
- Beijing Refutes Trump's Accusations of Mid-Term Election Meddling
- CNPC Quits Flagship Iran Gas Project as U.S. Sanctions Bite
Another One Bites the Dust: US Envoy to Vietnam Quit Because of Trump have 344 words, post on sputniknews.com at April 14, 2018. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.