President Donald Trump and his Republican allies on Friday escalated a campaign against U.S. law enforcement agencies over their probe into Russia by making public a classified memo that the FBI had sought to keep under wraps. The document, drawn up by congressional Republicans, alleges bias against Trump at the FBI and Justice Department in the federal investigation into potential collusion between Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign and Russia and whether the president has sought to obstruct the probe. Ignoring a plea from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Trump approved the release of the memo, deepening an extraordinary breach between the president and senior law enforcement officials over a probe that has dogged him during his first year in office. Trump declassified the four-page memo, telling reporters its contents told a “disgraceful” story of bias against him. Republicans on the House of Representatives Intelligence Committee wrote the memo and released it to the public. The document has become a flashpoint in a battle between Republicans and Democrats over Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s criminal probe into the Russia matter launched in May 2017 that grew out of an earlier FBI investigation. Democrats say the memo uses cherry-picked classified information, and they believe… Read full this story
- US Senate panel subpoenas Trump Jr in Russia interference probe
- Russia ordered to release Ukraine sailors
- Robert Mueller to make first statement on Russia probe
- Trump invokes ‘executive privilege’ over Mueller report
- Mueller denies probe cleared Trump, hands baton to Congress
- Trump tells ex-White House counsel McGahn not to testify
- US intelligence partners wary of Barr's Russia review
- Who is Kim Darroch and what did he say about Trump?
- Will Russia back US' maximum pressure on Iran?
- US House committee chairman subpoenas Trump’s tax records
Trump steps up fight over Russia probe, backs release of secret memo have 284 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at February 2, 2018. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.