By Holly Yan , CNN Updated 1847 GMT (0247 HKT) February 2, 2018 Story highlights A US champion said she self-inflicted a head injury to avoid going to Karolyi Ranch The Karolyis have not returned calls for comment (CNN) Tucked away in the boondocks of southeast Texas hid the mecca of American women’s gymnastics — a training camp so revered and remote, years of abuse festered unabated, ex-gymnasts say. But they’re not just talking about molestation at the hands of Larry Nassar. They say Bela and Martha Karolyi, the famed owners of Karolyi Ranch, inflicted verbal and emotional abuse that fostered a culture of fear. “There is an eerie feeling as soon as you step foot onto the Karolyi Ranch. It is completely removed from all civilization,” former gymnast Mattie Larson said. Athletes walk across Karolyi Ranch in 2011. Elite gymnasts from across the country came to train at the ranch. “In the case of an emergency, the closest hospital is so far away, you’d need to be helicoptered there. To get to the ranch, you must drive up a dirt road for what seems like an eternity. … On top of that, there is no cell service. It’s completely… Read full this story
- Sean Hannity Eyes Fox News Exit, Insiders Say
- Hardline Eurosceptic Tories warn Boris Johnson not to 'betray' them on Brexit as they say they will not vote for a re-hashed version of Theresa May's deal
- 'Fears' about Māori immersion schools proving unfounded
- Auntie really should have known better: Ex-BBC chairman and former Channel 4 boss LORD GRADE writes that TV bosses overstepped the mark during election campaign by taking their grievances into public domain
- Harvey Weinstein combative and in denial ahead of rape trial, inner circle says
- The Last Manson Mystery
- How we chose the 2019 Winemaker of the Year
- Harvey Weinstein: What You Need to Know About His Sexual Harassment Allegations
- Bachelorettes, Bibles and Amazon: is Nashville the perfect model for a second-tier city?
- What drives writers to drink?
Karolyi Ranch produced champions and a culture of fear, ex-gymnasts say have 321 words, post on edition.cnn.com at February 2, 2018. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.