Somehow we thought this had already happened, but it appears Google’s Android has just overtaken Windows as the internet’s most popular operating system. That’s according to web analytics firm StatCounter, which on Monday released statistics marking the “milestone in technology history and end of an era” with Microsoft no longer owning the dominant OS when you look at internet usage across desktop and mobile devices combined.With Android a mobile OS, the news is just another reminder of the dominance of portable devices in our lives. StatCounter found that in March, Android grabbed a 37.93 percent share of the worldwide OS internet market, barely overtaking Microsoft Windows’ 37.91 percent share for the first time. And note the trend lines in the chart below: Windows is on a steady march down from 82 percent in 2012, while Android is mirroring it upward from 2.2 percent in the same five-year period.StatCounter CEO Aodhan Cullen attributed the “breakthrough” to not only the growth of smartphones worldwide, which give more people access to the internet, but also a decline in sales of traditional PCs.A Microsoft representative declined to comment specifically on Android taking over Windows, but added: “We are pleased that there are more than… Read full this story
- Most popular operating systems of 2020: The more things change...
- The Android 11 beta is another reason to buy a Pixel
- The Android 11 public beta is being delayed until June 3
- How to Use Your Android Smartphone as a Webcam on Windows 10
- Google’s New, Improved Android Will Deliver A Unified Design Language
- Android 10 rolling out to the Motorola RAZR with a few surprising features
- Acer Iconia W510 Windows 8 tablet starts at $500, launches November 9
- What Happened When I Switched From Macs to Windows
- Here's how Google just changed the Android 11 release schedule
- Microsoft reveals Surface Windows 8 tablets
Android inches ahead of Windows as most popular OS have 294 words, post on www.cnet.com at April 3, 2017. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.