The WHO’s latest air pollution database reveals an overall deterioration of air in the planet’s cities, and highlights the growing risk of serious health conditions Urban residents in poor countries are by far the worst affected, WHO said, noting that nearly every city (98 percent) in low- and middle-income countries has air which fails to meet the UN body’s standards. That number falls to 56 percent of cities in wealthier countries. “Urban air pollution continues to rise at an alarming rate, wreaking havoc on human health,” Maria Neira, the head of WHO’s department of public health and environment, said in a statement. The UN agency’s latest air pollution database reveals an overall deterioration of air in the planet’s cities, and highlights the growing risk of serious health conditions also including stroke and asthma. The report, which focused on outdoor rather than household air, compared data collected from 795 cities in 67 countries between 2008 and 2013. Tracking the prevalence of harmful pollutants like sulfate and black carbon, WHO found that air quality was generally improving in richer regions like Europe and North America, but worsening in developing regions, notably the Middle East and southeast Asia. Overall, contaminants in outdoor air… Read full this story
- Improving with age? How city design is adapting to older populations
- The curse of urban sprawl: how cities grow, and why this has to change
- City of Joy: New hope for Congo's brutalised women
- What's the most radioactive city?
- 40,000 people are about to run a marathon in the world's most polluted city
- Study claims rise in air pollution under Trump administration is linked to THOUSANDS of premature deaths
- The 100 million city: is 21st century urbanisation out of control?
- The Pros and Cons of Cheap Air Travel
- Want to shift from metro city? Here are costs, ease of living features of tier 2 towns
- LA Adds EVs, Hybrid Cars to City Fleet
80 percent of world's city dwellers breathing bad air: UN have 307 words, post on dtinews.vn at May 12, 2016. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.