Former radio star Jian Ghomeshi will appear in Toronto’s Old City Hall courtroom on Monday for the first trial to emerge from a barrage of accusations that the disgraced celebrity subjected multiple women to violent acts of sexual assault. The accusations stunned millions of fans of the popular folk artist turned radio personality and his hugely popular program with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Q. The culture and current events show loomed large in Canadian entertainment and attracted a substantial following in the US. Ghomeshi, at once an engaging and an easygoing interviewer, attracted a broad range of guests: Jon Stewart, Paul McCartney, Jay-Z, Michael Moore, Werner Herzog, Wu-Tang Clan’s GZA, and Brian Wilson. His show was one of the CBC’s most successful. Accusations against the celebrity host burst into public view in late October 2014. On 26 October, the Toronto Star published disturbing accounts from three unnamed women who claimed Ghomeshi had attacked them on dates. The women told broadly consistent stories of abuse. Ghomeshi started out sweet and flirty but soon alluded to “violent sex acts”. “When they failed to respond or expressed displeasure, they recalled Ghomeshi dismissing his remarks as ‘just fantasies’, reassuring them he wouldn’t ask them… Read full this story
- Military sexual assault victims say the system is broken
- Brit TV stars sex scandal timebomb as host of male household names face abuse claims
- Karolyi Ranch produced champions and a culture of fear, ex-gymnasts say
- Paedophile footballer Adam Johnson reunites with ex-girlfriend – who is weeks from giving birth to their second child
- Cuomo Inquiry to Be Led by 2 Lawyers, Including Ex-U.S. Attorney
- Pembrokeshire Murders: Expert claims 'we've all got a bit of John Cooper in us'
- Bill Cosby Trial Begins Monday
- Man gets jail and caning for sexually abusing daughter since she was 10, claimed she set him up
- 'No Blame?' ABC News finds 54 cases invoking 'Trump' in connection with violence, threats, alleged assaults.
- Mario Cuomo, Ex-New York Governor and Liberal Beacon, Dies at 82
Trial of ex-radio host Jian Ghomeshi begins for series of sexual assault claims have 323 words, post on www.theguardian.com at February 1, 2016. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.