WASHINGTON – Sen. Lindsey Graham spent seven months pushing his fellow Republicans toward a more aggressive foreign policy — but failing to catch on with voters — before announcing Monday he would end his presidential campaign.Graham, 60, will remain in the Senate, where he has five years left in his third term representing South Carolina.He announced his decision in a video and email addressing his supporters.”While we have run a campaign that has made a real difference, I have concluded this is not my time,” Graham said.Graham’s focus on national security and the war against terrorism helped shape the overall GOP primary debate, but he wasn’t well known outside South Carolina or the Senate. He never polled above single digits nationally or in the early voting states, and his support back home slipped as he traveled in New Hampshire and Iowa.Monday was the last day he could drop out and have his name removed from the ballot in South Carolina.His departure doesn’t immediately shake up the race — 13 other Republicans are still running — but it does free his key South Carolina supporters and national donors to pick another candidate.One of Graham’s most prominent advocates, Sen. John McCain of Arizona, was… Read full this story
- Lindsey Graham a hard 'no' on joining Trump administration
- House GOP confident it can avert shutdown; Senate isn't
- GOP bill to avert shutdown saves children's health funds, guts Obamacare revenue
- Donald Trump says Dreamers scheme to help immigrants is 'probably dead'
- MP pays heartfelt tribute to late mum who ‘shaped him as a politician’
- School of the Week: Kymin View Primary
- Trump says scheme to help illegal immigrant children 'probably dead'
- Primary school looking for enthusiastic people to join its governing body
- School of the Week: Blaen-y-Cwm Primary School
- Trump drags GOP to war on legal immigration
Sen. Lindsey Graham helped shape GOP primary debate have 299 words, post on www.usatoday.com at December 21, 2015. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.