In the back of a funeral home on Seattle’s south end, a Vietnamese immigrant father mourns the boy who loved football, the Seahawks, and a defensive backfield called the Legion of Boom. “He was a great kid and had respect,” Ngon Bui says softly. “I would be talking to my friends and always he comes up and talks to them, people he didn’t know. He had so much respect.” His 17-year-old son, Kenney, lies in a coffin in a room down the hall. The coffin’s lid is open and Kenney Bui is wearing glasses and his Evergreen high school uniform jersey. Beside him rests a ball signed by his football teammates. Already a Buddhist monk has chanted for an hour, a group of Samoan classmates wearing traditional lavalavas have been singing hymns in rich, deep voices, and a feast of meats and rice and teas have been set on a table to feed the departed soul. Incense burns. A smoky haze fills the air. Kenney Bui had a 4.0 grade point average at Evergreen High in White Center, a lower-income suburb of migrants and factory workers. He was in Evergreen’s tech program. He might have gone to the University of… Read full this story
- Former West Mesquite High School Football Player Aaron Lowe Fatally Shot In Utah
- High School Football Player, 14, Dies of Head Injury After Game: 'You Will Always Be Our Hero'
- High School Football Player Dies After Collapsing During Game in California: 'Great Young Man'
- Sofia LaSpina, 15, Makes History As First Female Varsity High School Football Player To Score A Touchdown On Long Island
- N.Y. high school football player hurt during game dies after head injury
- High School Football Player Now Left Unable to Walk During Brain Cancer Battle: 'Keep Going'
- One shot in head near high school football game in Knoxville, Tennessee
- Teen Stabbed To Death After Dutchess County High School Football Game, Former Student Charged
- High School Football Announcer Blasted for Calling Player 'Thug Trash'
- High school football coach's advice to player who wanted to quit goes viral
Kenney Bui: the life and death of a high school football player have 337 words, post on www.theguardian.com at October 14, 2015. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.