Thirty years and some months ago, the cinematic version of Bernard Malamud’s novel “The Natural” was released by TriStar Pictures. Earlier this week, I tracked down Ben Mankiewicz for a discussion of this classic baseball movie . . .Rob: First, I apologize to everyone for being a little late with this. I have to admit that I was blissfully unaware last May when the 30th anniversary in the release of “The Natural” passed. But a couple of months ago, Owen King suggested that we write something about the movie. I was too busy then; now I’m not, but Owen is. Fortunately, I’m blessed to know Ben Mankiewicz, whose baseball/cinema ratio is probably among the highest in the land.To prepare for this discussion, I watched “The Natural” one more time. I’ve probably seen it a dozen times, start to finish. And bits and pieces many more times. This time, though, it was the director’s cut! Which really didn’t add much at all to the story (although it was fun watching Robert Duvall taking a whack at a baseball locked in a vise). For that reason, and also because the great majority of people reading this haven’t seen the director’s cut, I’ll largely ignore those… Read full this story
- 30 Year Fixed Mortgage Rates - Why a Low Fixed Rate Mortgage is the Best Financial Decision
- 30 Year Fixed Rate Mortgage Going Up Or Down?
- Small but perfectly formed: National Trust enthusiast, 42, spends more than 30 years building his very own stately miniature home that he started when he was just 12
- One of Europe's first civilisations the Minoans were NOT 'wiped out' by a natural disaster, says archaeologist after 30-year study of ancient ruins
- 30 Years After Fall of Communism, Mixed Support for Democracy
- Why Did the Rate on a 30-Year Fixed Rate Mortgage Rise Above 5 Percent This Week?
- Private health care removal from public hospitals may take 30 years
- Teresa Giudice’s ‘hook-up’ in ‘RHONJ’ clip was from 30 years ago
- Zoe Kravitz recreates mom Lisa Bonet's nude photo shoot 30 years later
- IPCC: 30 years to climate calamity if we carry on blowing the carbon budget
Revisiting ‘The Natural’ 30 years after its release have 353 words, post on www.foxsports.com at December 31, 2014. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.