Authorities on Sunday imposed a midnight curfew for the second night a row in the tense St. Louis suburb where an unarmed black teen was shot to death last week by police, seeking to secure an elusive peace as protesters continued to gather. Police blocked off at least one street to vehicle traffic before the sun had even set. The move came as scores of protesters began gathering along West Florissant Avenue in Ferguson, the site of ongoing protests as well as violence and looting since 18-year-old Michael Brown was shot to death on Aug. 9. “They want to take it night by night,” said Highway Patrol spokesman Justin Wheetley said of the curfew, imposed Saturday night by Missouri Governor Jay Nixon in an effort to quell protests and looting. Earlier on Sunday, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder ordered a federal autopsy of Brown’s body, seeking to assure the family and community there will be a thorough investigation into a death that has sparked days of racially charged protests. Eighteen-year-old Brown, who was black, was shot by white police officer Darren Wilson. The police department in the St. Louis suburb has come under strong criticism for both the death of…
- Klobuchar calls for independent probe of murder case she prosecuted that sentenced black teen to life
- Teen shot to death outside Prescott Road food mart: 'This child matters. All our children matter.'
- Majority black high school grapples with demographic changes
- Police investigate fatal shooting in Kansas City, Missouri
- Police name 14-year-old fatally shot on NY basketball court
- British holidaymakers scramble to get out of Spain as they tussle with baton-wielding police as country is put on lockdown and bans nearly all travel after coronavirus cases soar to 6,391
- Hoboken in New Jersey imposes strict nightly curfew in coronavirus clampdown
- Colin Kaepernick compares police officers to fugitive slave patrolmen after cop was cleared of shooting dead black man Philando Castile
- Biden wins Missouri Democratic primary as momentum builds
- Where are British tourists banned from visiting? Countries that have imposed restrictions on travellers from the UK as they close their borders amid coronavirus pandemic
Curfew re-imposed in Missouri city where black teen shot by police have 345 words, post on at August 18, 2014. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.