CONTROVERSIAL New Year honours have gone to David Cameron's pals – including a fatcat Tory donor who made millions betting on the collapse of Northern Rock and family friend Helena Bonham Carter. Hedge fund boss Paul Ruddock, who has given more than £500,000 to the Conservatives, has been put forward for a knighthood while Hollywood star Ms Bonham Carter is to be given a CBE. Other controversial individuals given awards include property tycoon Gerald Ronson, jailed in 1990 for a share scam, and Chris Preddie, the cousin of Danny and Ricky Preddie who killed Damilola Taylor, 10, in 2000. Labour claimed Mr Ruddock's nomination for a knighthood "demeaned the whole awards system". Mr Ruddock, who has an estimated £350million fortune, has admitted his firm Lansdowne Partners made "significant profits" – reportedly £100million – from short-selling Northern Rock shares. It also backed a takeover of Hinchingbrooke NHS Hospital in Huntingdon, Cambs, by a private healthcare company in a £1billion 10-year deal. Mr Ruddock, chairman of the Victoria & Albert Museum since 2007, has been knighted for services to the arts. Labour MP Grahame Morris slammed Mr Ruddock's award. He said: "This is the same old Tory story – this time it's… Read full this story
- Do a Tim Burton and Helena Bonham-Carter style of living in this Irish home
- The Tory party can hardly claim they are 'pro-business' when they are royally screwing them over with Brexit
- Former Kray twins hitman Freddie Foreman wants Hither Green hero to be given award for bravery
- Nine Policies The Tories Have Stolen From Labour (And The Greens)
- Lotto has been changing lives for 25 years — here are the people YOU are helping by voting in the National Lottery Awards
- Who is Katherine Jenkins, when was her baby born and how was she involved in the David Beckham email scandal?
- Salisbury attack: Labour accuses Government of 'playing party politics' by witholding high-level intelligence from Jeremy Corbyn
- POLITICO London Playbook: Brexit strains — Boris pranked — Tory rebel army grows
- POLITICO London Playbook: Syria strikes — Tory hacker — Labour launch
- POLITICO London Playbook: A tale of two parties — 3 in a row? — Saj steps up
New Year honours: David Cameron's pals benefit as fatcat Tory party donor and family friend Helena Bonham Carter given awards have 351 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at December 31, 2011. This is cached page on Goose Art. If you want remove this page, please contact us.